Housing provides the following services:
- Assisting members applying for the housing loans program
- Advocating for more Elders’ emergency funds
- Assisting members with obtaining renovation dollars
- Overseeing Band rental units and social housing units
- Advocating for more dollars in all housing programs
- Collecting housing arrears
Stepping up to meet this need is the newly created sub division, ready for the construction of new homes purchased by Band members. Fifty of the sixty lots have already been reserved.
More examples of tremendous growth within the Housing Department:
- A steady increase in housing arrears collection in the last year
- The sale of eight Band rental units to Band Members in good standing
- A twelve-unit renovation project completed through INAC at a cost of $138,000
- Renovations to six homes through the RRAP program at a cost of $96,000
- Three homes approved for renovations through INAC at a cost of $67,000
Council’s vision is to build on this positive growth and meet the need for even more homes. This will enable our people returning home to Sts’ailes to live in healthier and safer conditions - especially our Elders and those with disabilities.